IntellivisionRevolution Forums
Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of IntellivisionRevolution Forums on your social bookmarking website

Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

The Intellivision Forums
Statistics
We have 463 registered users
The newest registered user is greenturtle39

Our users have posted a total of 4155 messages in 882 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Intellivision Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Homebrew prices

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Homebrew prices Empty Homebrew prices Fri 21 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

sloan

sloan

OK, I admit it, I am cheap. What I do not get though, is how 2600 homebrews can go for $20 a piece over at Atari Age's store, and yet new INTV and CV releases are almost always priced at $50-$60 range. I realize homebrewers are free to ask any price they want, but AA (2600 Boulder Dash excepted) shows that the $50-$60 asking prices on many are nothing but sheer greed. Even 5200 homebrews on AA and Good Deal Games are in the $25-$35 range, not the $50-$60 that CV homebrewers would have you believe is the break-even mark. I say that if the homebrews were offered in the $30-$35 range, the developers would sell so many more copies that profits would be through the roof.

I'll get down off my soapbox now...

2Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Fri 21 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

Well, the price of homebrews varies a lot. I've seen several 2600 hombrews that sell for more than $50. I think the difference with CV and INTV may be the model used to release the games. Vendors have programmers for the games and pay them for their work (at least, that is what I've seen so far). Many of the 2600 homebrews are released directly by the developers themselves. Vectrex games can also be expensive to get. So, I'm not sure what the explanation is but there certainly are many variables.

https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

3Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Fri 21 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm

sloan

sloan

I know what you are saying, but can you honestly say that $50 is a fair price on the homebrews coming out recently? I have to say that I truly do not know, because I have never published a video game, but it is weird that sites like AA and GDG can sell homebrews at much lower prices.

I do have to say that I had severe sticker shock when I saw the going rate for 2600 Boulder Dash over at the AA store. $80? Ouch!

4Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Fri 21 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

I know the situation with Boulder Dash for the 2600 also involved licensing fees. The box is also professional grade, so that adds to the expense. Remember the volume is not as large as a commercial release, so there are fewer copies to help recuperate the expenses.

It does take many hours to program these games, so I'm guessing that is factoring into the cost of the INTV games. Not knowing all the details related to the cost of bringing the game to us, it is hard to judge how "fair" or "unfair" the cost is. I'm going to guess, though, there are a lot of costs we are not aware of.

5Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:47 pm

Rev

Rev
Admin
Admin

Aren't the Atari homebrews mostly cart only?

Maybe the Atari ones are easier to program as well?

http://www.intvrevolution.com

6Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Tue 25 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

onthinice

onthinice
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

I agree about the easier to program.

Only thought I have is over all system owners. More 2600/7800 owners. Guess you could include the Atari expansion for Coleco and Intellivision owners.

More people to buy 2600 games so you could sell more and not charge as much as you would on other systems. Maybe it would still give you a good return on the product.

7Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Tue 25 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

revolutionika wrote:Aren't the Atari homebrews mostly cart only?

Maybe the Atari ones are easier to program as well?

Many of them are cart only. Boxed ones do tend to cost more but price does vary by console as well.

Regarding ease of programming, that depends on the console. I know the Jaguar is tough to program for and homebrews that are boxed do cost more. I think we tend to underestimate the cost of printing and making boxes!

8Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Wed 10 Oct 2012, 8:37 pm

sloan

sloan

Recent case: Mean Hamster is selling 5200 Gauntlet for $40 and Left Turn Only is selling INTV Christmas Carol for $60.

9Homebrew prices Empty Re: Homebrew prices Wed 10 Oct 2012, 9:06 pm

TrekMD

TrekMD

5200 Gauntlet is a cart only with neither box nor instructions and sells for $45. INVT Christmas Carol comes in a sealed box with instructions and two overlays in addition to the game cart. I don't think that is a fair comparison. If anything, Gauntlet can be considered to be expensive given what you get for the extra $15 with Christmas Carol. Of course, the reason for the price being what it is for Gauntlet is that the cart is a 64K bank switching cart.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum