IntellivisionRevolution Forums
Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the official IntellivisionRevolution Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of IntellivisionRevolution Forums on your social bookmarking website

Who is online?
In total there are 20 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 20 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 189 on Sun 22 Sep 2013, 8:05 am
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

The Intellivision Forums
Statistics
We have 463 registered users
The newest registered user is greenturtle39

Our users have posted a total of 4155 messages in 882 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Intellivision Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

stupid forum policies

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1stupid forum policies Empty stupid forum policies Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

sloan

sloan

If you have visited other gaming forums on the internet, you must have witnessed contradicting forum rules at work.

Go to one well known forum and they strongly discourage a practice known as "necro-bumping" of old threads. Yet another well known forum actually encourages searching the forum archives and activating old threads as necessary, rather than cluttering the forum with repeat threads.

I have been to a well known forum that caters to Sega systems and games, and you will be chided by forum regulars (not even moderators, but mostly wannabe's) for something called "spamming", otherwise known as posting a new thread that even remotely duplicates subject matter from an existing thread. In fact, trolls will chide the offending thread creator about not using the forum's "search" tool to eliminate duplicate thread topics.

This is where I am at: "Necro-bumping" is not a crime, and I don't get the moderators at said site for coming down on "offenders", other than it makes the moderators feel somehow powerful and important in doing so. Requiring topic starters to comb through thousands of archived threads to avoid duplicate topics is also unreasonable and ridiculous by my own opinion.

Life is too short, live and let live. Honestly, I think some of those other forums need to get over themselves, kick out the trolls, and otherwise allow people some freedom.

I will get off my soap box now...

2stupid forum policies Empty Re: stupid forum policies Fri 28 Dec 2012, 9:19 am

TrekMD

TrekMD

Rules on necro-posting vary a lot from forum to forum. On some forums, it is ok for the original poster to necro-post if they have something new to share. After all, they were the ones who started the thread. The problem with many of these rules is that search engines within forums are not 100% effective at finding old threads on a topic. So, you may end up creating a repeat thread because you didn't find the original one on the topic. I think people just need to relax a bit. Moderators can always merge topics if needed.

https://plus.google.com/+EugenioAngueira

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum